Do YOU love YOU?
"The best way to love someone else is to love yourself first."
I have to be completely honest. I have had the hardest time believing that I should receive the very love that I give to the extent that I give it. This quote is one of my own that I am improving upon as I go through the journey of self-love. This is without a doubt a marathon of an experience; not a sprint. The learning curve (for me) is steep and often times daunting. However with each layer that I unravel of myself, there is a greater version that I am proud of.
Being a work in progress is apart of the process. Perfection should never be the goal. The goal is to be happy with what you have been given. You cannot fast track healing and expect an authentic outcome. So as the superficial holiday known as Valentine's Day makes her appearance in our local stores and timelines, make sure you take the time to love yourself a little more.
Here are 20 ways to practice self-love today and everyday:
- Repeat daily affirmations until you believe what you say.
- Practice gratitude in the verbal and written form; get a journal.
- Take a break from technology. Put the phone down and enjoy life in real time. Remember, no one is posting their failures.
- Give yourself more grace.
- Accept your strengths without apologizing for them.
- Take yourself to lunch/dinner.
- Move your body and do something physical.
- Forgive yourself.
- Put on your best face and do your hair.
- Try something new.
- Don't "shoulda" yourself.
- Accept a compliment.
- Create a daily list and cross out accomplishments.
- Stop comparing yourself to others.
- When having a negative thought, replace it with 2 positives.
- Celebrate small victories.
- Go and stay where you are celebrated and appreciated.
- Say, "NO" to things and people that don't serve you well.
- Don't internalize rejection.
- Drink your water and moisturize.